Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Helpless

I swore to myself that I would stop writing about work in my blog, because frankly, I know that it is not very interesting - but darn it – everyday I am amazed by some other new thing I learn about this group. I want to bang my head on the desk in frustration. And, since I started this blog a) because I was bored and b) to talk about things in my life – unfortunately this leaves you with c) my work.

I have not yet figured out where supplies are in my new department, but luckily I came prepared with all the pens, paper, folders etc. that I need for awhile. However today I needed an inter-office envelope because I was sending something to another site of ours. In my old department there would have been a stack of these envelopes next to the out-going basket (they were crazy-logical like that), but I couldn’t find any in this department. So, I asked a woman (who I thought ordered supplies) and she gave me one from her ‘private stash’. Yet when I asked her if there was a stack of them somewhere for future use, she replied, “oh no, we don’t have any. I assume that when we get an Admin Assistant we’ll get envelopes.” Are you kidding me??! I’m not even sure that they are interviewing Admins at this point, let alone hiring one.

I have become very self-sufficient since working at this company, and can pretty much figure out where to find things on my own, so I was going to call the mail room myself to ask them to bring over a stack of inter-office envelopes. I figured I could take 30 seconds of my time to do so, as opposed to waiting months until we get this mysterious new Admin. I checked with another guy in my department to see if his team also needed envelopes, and he said that ‘no’ – he just got a stack for the group, showed me where they were, and then said I could help myself. This made me feel relieved, until he went on to explain that he could not unpack his boxes from the move because he doesn’t have file folders. He too is waiting for an Admin to order those…

I am concerned…are these people helpless? I know how to order supplies (because I asked my old Admin) and I’m tempted to order stuff for the group. But I know that once I do that they will realize that they don’t need an Admin because they have me – and I don’t even want to go there.

OK, that’s enough of the job rant for the day. Tomorrow I will try to come up with something more interesting. Oh, and if you do work in a place that has an Administrative Assistant, go give them a hug, and tell them how much you appreciate them.

No comments: