Thursday, March 27, 2014

#tbt: Postcard to Grandma 1986

My son has recently started to read and write, and, he's really into it.  He likes to write whenever he can and will sometimes ask for spelling help.   I enjoy seeing his attempt at words when they are misspelled though, because I can (usually) still tell what he means and his attempts are so clever.  He recently spent three days working on a thank you card for his aunt, not so much for the words in that one, but because he wanted to draw every animal that he possibly could for her.  She joked and said that now she needs to send him a thank you card to thank him for his card. 

And that got me thinking... kids these days won't receive real letters anymore.   Now that their email, twitter, Facebook... what happens to traditional pen pals??  I used to have a couple when I was growing up and loved receiving letters in the mail.  One pen pal in particular was a distant cousin in Scotland who was much older so to receive letters from her was like getting a prize in the mail.   Even into high school and college I was getting real letters from people over the summer times catching each other up on what we were doing.   I dug into my boxes today and found some of these  letters that friends had sent.   I now want to give some of them back to those friends because they are detailed accounts of things that happened and wonderful memories.   It didn't seem right to publish something in this blog that someone else had written (without their consent) but I actually came across a postcard that I sent to my grandma in 1986.  Postcards... that's another thing I don't do anymore... and seeing this one makes me want to try harder.

In 1986 my parents took a friend and me, along with another family to Expo '86 in Vancouver, Canada.  We rented a motorhome and drove up there.   Then, my friend and I took an airplane by ourselves to Idaho where we stayed with her grandparents for a week.  I still remember that vacation very well and it was awesome.  I also remember barfing all over her grandma's front room when I caught a bug while there, and that was not so awesome.  That same night I remember being woken up by a ruckus when some family members realized there was a wasp hive right outside the door of the place we were sleeping in.   I think I may have sent the following postcard before the barf and the bees incident...

6-23-86

"Dear Grandma,

Having a great time up here in Idaho.  We've gone canoeing and horse-back riding.  The Expo was really fun.  You have to see Ontario's pavilion.

Love You, and Miss You,
Meghan"

[Kinda wish I could remember Ontario's pavilion...]



I have this feeling that every single postcard I sent to Grandma likely had an animal on it



No comments: