Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Getting a Job vs. Joining the PTA



The job hunt has been progressing and I’ve had a couple of phone interviews so far, but nothing is really jumping for me yet.   It’s no surprise – I have a very long list of things to do as it relates to applying for more jobs, and figuring out what exactly I want to do with my future.  I’m taking it one day at a time for now.  I’m also trying to figure out how to make best use of my new schedule now that the kids are home with me in the afternoons.

In the meantime, as I mentioned last week, I’ve been able to volunteer a little at Jingle’s school and that has been fun.  Ever since he started I have wanted to get involved but it just seemed so daunting with everything else (aka: ‘work’).   I ended up volunteering three times at the book fair last week and must have impressed them with my money counting skills or something.  (That, and I tend to keep to myself and do what I’m asked without drama.)  Next thing I know I got an email to join a committee meeting last night at one of the lady’s homes.  Why not? I thought.   I liked the people I met, and it was a chance to get out and see some grown-ups after spending the day with kids.   I was even more intrigued when I read on the email chain that “after the meeting we will play cards and drink wine in honor of [someone’s] recent birthday”.  Um... OKAY!  I haven’t been with a card-playing crowd in a while – this sounded great!

So, I went over and joined the meeting.  We talked about upcoming events and I realized that it wasn’t so daunting.  A lot of people like to help, they just need some guidance to do so.  I listened and asked some questions and even brought up some different ideas.  I think kindergarten parents are often left in the dark as the older kids’ parents just seem to know where everything is and assume it’s easy peasy.  People – I’m still tying my kids shoes and helping them buckle seatbelts… you mean  there’s more to figure out?  Like days off, early dismissal days, share days, and costume days … these are all things the parents need to remember and navigate.  And I have had problems readily finding some of this info.  Thank goodness his teacher is patient and great with email questions!  But I digress…

We finished official business, and the hostess announced it was time for pie.  PIE?  Um… OKAY! (Although, deduct some points because the pie was key lime.  “Pie”, in my opinion, should only be berry, apple, or other traditional fruit pie, preferably warm, with a side of ice cream. All the others -- key lime, cream pies, meringues -- call them “pie-shaped dessert” if you must, but they are NOT pie.)

She then brought out the cards (we played a game called Wizard) and we enjoyed some wine while playing the game.   The ladies were nice and funny and I was really enjoying the game which was very much like Spades and another game that I’ve played where you bid how many tricks you think you’ll get.  We were chatting about the kids and school and stuff, and the following years PTA when the hostess turns to me and says “So Mingle – you want to co-chair this committee next year?”. Um… WHAT?

She literally plied me with wine, cards and ‘pie-shaped dessert’ in order to butter me up, and then came in for the kill.  VERY SMART WOMAN.   I told her I’d think about it.  But, it really didn’t take much thought.   I want to get involved, and I like this particular committee, and I like the woman who is to be the co-chair.  So, today I wrote and told them “yes”.

Now, if only job hunting were this easy.  Where you meet someone, you show them you are competent and easy to work with and they hire you on the spot.  I wouldn’t even expect them to give me dessert or wine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now you understand retire/rewirement. This happens constantly. I have to say "not this year" to the pastry bribing ladies because I would never have time to do anything but volunteer. I love it. Just think what you can look forward to in the future Meghan! Betsi