Thursday, March 13, 2014

#tbt: All About Me written by my 8 or 9 year old self

-->
When I was young there were a few people with the same name as me in my classes so I always had to sign my name “Meghan S.”.   For many years, I added that “S”.  Now, I notice that my son always adds both his first and last name and the full date to every single thing he draws, writes or creates.  It makes me smile, because I think that is something he will do for the remainder of his school days.   When I dug into a memory box of my own to find today’s blog entry (I saved EVERYTHING), I wished that I had been trained to add the date to my homework.  I found this “…Poster About Me” and judging by the clues of what I wrote, I put this around 1982 or '83.  There’s a comment of having chickens and only one dog and one cat (I had two of each for most of my life) and only had chickens once (a very traumatic experience for me).  There’s also a note about gymnastics, (which I was pretty horrible at).


The highlights:

3 Wishes:

I wish that we can remodel like we are planning [we eventually did this] and a award for gymnastics [never got this] and a lot of money [still wishing for this in 2014].

When I grow up I want to be:
A person who work at the post office because I like to mail papers.  [I had BIG dreams back then]

My favorite things:
Reading
Tacos
Cookies
Playing
School
Math
Animals
And more [Because really, there is just too much to list]

Things I Don’t Like:

Spelling [I grew to like spelling]
Onions [I grew to like onions]
Hamburgers [I grew to like hamburgers too, but now neither of my kids like hamburgers, I think it’s genetic]
Emptying the Dishwasher [I was a smart kid]

Besides being a horrible gymnast, I was also a pretty terrible soccer player when I was young.  I eventually found I was fairly good defensively but I never once scored a goal, and I played for four years.   That’s why, when this picture surfaced in the local newspaper in 1984 it was hilarious to my family and I.  The caption read “Meghan heads the ball while [a teammate] looks on”.    I recall this game because it was pouring the whole time and I even recall this header as it was the only one I did in that game, and probably rare for my entire soccer career.  It bounced off the back of my head and it hurt.    Fortunately I found my athletic calling in swimming and basketball later in life.



3 comments:

sactownkid said...

LOVE the soccer pic. That is awesome. So are your drawrings. :)

Mrs Mingle said...

Thanks! I think I still draw exactly the same today too! ;)

Mrs Mingle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.