Sunday, March 09, 2014

Looking Forward

This past Friday I was all set to meet up with a friend at a donut shop that I'd never been before - Donut World.  I hadn't seen my friend Smiley in over a year, and before that it was only the second time I was going to see her for almost 20 years, so I was really looking forward to this visit.  I was not, however, looking forward to the donut.  What? How can this be?! Well... here's a little secret... I don't actually LOVE donuts as much as some may believe.    And frankly, I was getting quite sick of them recently.   But I still love the idea of Donut Friday and wanted to write the review for this blog.   I got to Donut World first and while they had a good selection of classic donuts, the place was pretty divey and not one where I'd want to hang out for an hour catching up with an old friend.  What I wanted more then anything was a good cup of coffee and a decent place to visit.  (By the way, I do LOVE coffee).

Smiley (and I hope she doesn't take offense at her blog nickname...) suggested we walk down the block to Arizmendi Bakery, and that was perfect.  Great coffee, great non-donut pastries, and we lucked out with a seat outside.   We were in an area of the city that is typically foggy but we were blessed with a gorgeous winter day.  Sitting outside in the sun, with no jackets.

We spent the morning catching up on kids and careers.  Her kids are slightly older then mine, and she is further along in her career than me, but recently she's been a full-time mom, so I found it enlightening to talk to someone else who hadn't always been a stay-at-home mom but was trying to figure out how to spend more time with the family, while also doing a job she enjoys.  

I enjoy working.  I like to lead, be with grown-ups and make a difference in a workplace.   I think partly it's because I can see a tangible difference there.   When I'm at home full time, it's wonderful and exhausting at the same time, but at the end of the day it's hard to tell if I've done anything at all.   There is a never ending mountain of laundry and things on the floor.   Just now I was about to launch into how proud I was that my husband and I came home today and did a lot around the house to start the week off right, but I looked up and saw that the table I painstakingly cleared off was already covered again.  So.. I stopped writing.. cleaned up.. and came back...a little inspiration there.

As I was saying, I like to work, but it got to the point with my last job that I didn't like what I was doing.  It seemed like everyone was miserable - employees and customers alike.  Looking back, I probably saw my own miserableness reflected onto everyone else.

So, now I hope to find something I enjoy more.  I may not be in a drastically different function then before, but hopefully a happier place.   Another thing I am finally admitting to myself after all these years of blogging and journal-ling is, I like to write.  And, I like to share what I write.  I have no idea most times what I want to actually write about, but one of the reasons I got the Donut Friday FB posts started, was not so much because I loved donuts, but because it was something I looked forward to.  I wanted to write an update that might give someone a laugh or a smile.   And, if I also inspired you to get a donut, well, that's okay too.

I'm going to keep the name "Donut Fridays" for the blog because, to me, it represents something to look forward to.  I will occasionally still write donut reviews, but I cannot commit to writing them weekly.  I think I may go into Sugar Shock if I do.  But, I will commit to keep writing as long as time will allow, and I hope you will keep following.  I'm not quite sure how this blog will evolve, by my greatest goal will ultimately be to make people smile.   I hope that you have a good week, and find something that you look forward to as well!

No comments: