Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Raptop

On my first day at work, I was in a meeting with my boss and some others when the subject of my laptop first came up. "When will Mingle get her computer?" "What kind of computer did you order?" "What?" "Did you fill out the form?" "The new employee form? yes?" "No, there's another form now - to request her computer - did you fill that out?" "No, no one told me about a new form." "Oh, there's a new form." "Oh." As the computer discussion continued around me, I think that I heard I would be getting an HP because it has a nice wide screen. But since it has a nice wide screen, then I would not be getting a new flat panel monitor to go with it. Beggars can't be choosers.

On the second day a tech guy came by - and let me stress one of the two tech guys came- which is something I'll need to get used to in this small company - with an old IBM laptop. This is the conversation that followed:

9am -
Tech Guy: Here's your laptop. Unfortunately as I was setting it up for you the R key came off but I was able to pop it back on. However, it may fall off again.
Mingle: oh. thanks.
The R key falls off as he's typing in the password. He then spends a good amount of time trying to put the R back to no avail.
Mingle: Is this a loaner laptop?
Tech Guy: No - this is your laptop.
Mingle: Oh... hmm... I might need the R key.
Tech Guy: Do you want me to put a little glue on it? It might be uneven but it could work.
Mingle: Well.. the R could come in handy... ha ha..you know if I'm travelling... I'd hate to lose the R when I'm taking my laptop somewhere... (what the f...?!)
Tech Guy: Okay - I'll take the R back to my desk and find some glue.

4pm -
Mingle: Hey Tech Guy - before you go on vacation next week - can I have my R key back?
Tech Guy: What? Oh that's right - I was supposed to attach that for you. By the way I found out you are getting another laptop.
TG then hands me one of the most ancient keyboards and mouse I've seen in awhile.
Tech Guy: This mouse won't actually work with the laptop because it doesn't have a USB connection. But it will work with the docking station. Did I give you one of those?

I have yet to get the other laptop, or hear about it. I don't know what's going on. I also don't know what's going on with my cube - but that's a different story...

3 comments:

Swiss Miss said...

Oh my! I was just talking to a gal last night that has connections with a small, sta*t-up biotech company he*e and she kept asking me if I would be happy at a small place afte* wo*king at GENE. "It's a lot diffe*ent" she kept saying. Now I see a bit what she means.

But, begga*s can't be choose*s! I look forward hea*ing mo*e about you* unfolding saga at the new place! :)

And they bette* get you a decent compute*!!

Kid said...

Long Lunches...yippeee!

sactownkid said...

Hooray for new jobs and all the accompanying fun. I am working off of two computers right now, b/c we shifted all of the info from mine to the "faster" computer, but not everything came over and the only Mac tech guy on campus is busy for the next forseeable future.

But at least I have my flippin' R key. :)