Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Summer TV Line-Up

I know that it’s summertime because the line-up on my Tivo has changed. No longer are we recording new episodes of Lost, Prison Break and Desparate Housewives. The new shows of the summer consist of Jon Stewart’s Daily Show (I know this is on year-round, but we are slow starters), Rockstar SUPERNOVA (you must say “SUPERNOVA!” with a growl when talking about this show), and the newest and favorite show of the Mingle house: The Backyardigans.

I feel like I’m giving up a little of my personality here… I watch Jon Stewart on the Comedy Channel for current events, Rockstar SUPERNOVA, the second cousin to American Idol (although, I’d have to argue it’s by far the more talented cousin), and The Backyardigans – a show made for Nickelodeon Jr. Yep – it’s a cartoon, and not even one for adults or older kids – it’s for 5 year-olds.

If you have not seen this yet – I highly recommend that you check it out. I came across it one Sunday when I was flipping through channels and was immediately transfixed. It’s about a group of friends (who just happen to be talking animals) that create big adventures in their backyard every episode. So far we have seen them chase a yetti, ride on the prairie, and search for dinosaur bones. In each episode the characters will sing songs about their adventures that have clever lyrics and they dance in time to the music. What makes this show so outstanding is the choreography. The animation is simple, yet they’ve got the characters even doing hip hop – I bet they could do the Running Man.

I'm not sure how we reconcile watching Tommy Lee and cute cartoon characters in the same night, and I'm not even sure why we love this animated show so much. The funny thing is that Mr. Mingle and I don’t always agree on movies and TV. He usually likes the more serious, thought-provoking shows from say Discovery or PBS, and the independent films that require way to much brain power for me. I tend to like the blockbuster type films, and the popular dramas and sitcoms. Yet if there is one thing that we agree on, it’s The Backyardigans! So please, before you start judging me and my cartoon selection, check it out, I think you may be surprised!

1 comment:

sactownkid said...

I'm glad to see someone else has a thing for animation. I am secretly married to Sponge Bob Square Pants and have been known to watch Yugi-oh! on Saturday mornings, just so I can see what crazy creatures will pop up next.