Thursday, July 13, 2006

My Favorite Calendar

At the beginning of the year my company gave us all a monthly desk calendar with the theme “The Art of Currency”. And let me just tell you, this calendar is really, really special. The first time I realized this was when I saw that the weeks on this calendar run from Monday to Sunday. I think there was a period of about a month there when everyone in the company was probably scheduling meetings on the wrong day, when they would glance quickly down at the calendar, send out a meeting request for say, Monday, Jan. 17 and then discover later that Monday is actually January 16.

I’m not sure why the calendar is like this – I suspect it was given out to our employees in our international offices too – do they usually think of weeks as Monday – Sunday? No matter, when the realization occurred, many threw the calendar away rather then deal with the confusion.

I, however, kept the calendar but drew clear vertical lines on each month separating Monday-Friday from Saturday and Sunday. But then in May, I got a little nervous when Mother’s Day appeared on the calendar on Wednesday, May 10. “Oh!” I pondered, “I thought Mother’s Day was on Sunday!” Of course it was, as it is every year, on Sunday, May 14 (also the day that I took my mom out to lunch where we all got food poisoning).

But today my calendar proved to be the best ever, because as I was looking at it to make plans for the weekend of July 28, I realized that there is no July 29. Nope, according to my calendar, we are not acknowledging that day this year. Instead we will have Friday, July 28, Saturday July 28 and Sunday, July 30. This new found knowledge made me extremely happy – after all, my birthday is July 28, so now I get to celebrate twice!

1 comment:

sactownkid said...

Two birthdays in one year, does that make you skip to 33?! :) I say you get double the presents, regardless!! Nice calendar.