Friday, August 25, 2006

Last Day

Have you ever tried to remember a specific song, which you know you know, but the lyrics and tune don't quite come to you? I've had that happening to me all day...

Is it "Working 9 to 5"? no, no ... that's not quite it.
"5 O'Clock Blues?" no... no... I'm about to go drinking, so that can't be it...
"Iiiii don't want to work.. I just want to bang on the drums all day.." - that could be it, but considering I just made it through band camp, I don't really want to hear anymore drums right now. What, oh what could it be??

"Take this job and shove it"? YES! THAT IS IT!! Because you know why? I am done! I just need to wipe away the remaining papers lying on my desk, turn off my computer, and, and walk away. All together now, please join me in a collective sigh of relief.

I based the goodbye email to my coworkers on a topic that has been sitting on my company's intranet site for a couple of weeks. They like to give you a lead in sentence and then employees write in with their responses. Typically it's either someone from India or in management being very very serious. Except for one guy wrote about chocolate which was the best entry ever in my opinion. Here's my farewell:

On my way to work today I was thinking about... …how happy I was that this would be the last time I drive from Alameda to San Mateo to go to work. I was reminded of the time when I missed the WAM meeting because I was stuck in a 9-car pile up on the San Mateo Bridge. And then I realized that I would no longer be attending a WAM, LSRM, TOC or BUPOC meeting. And I thought that if I start a similar meeting at my new company I will call it the AWM (Acronym Without Meaning) Meeting. I imagined hearing the response of others when new employees ask, “what does AWM stand for?” and someone might say, “oh, that’s the All-hands Weekly Meeting”, or “that’s the Administrative Work Meeting”… and it made me chuckle. But I also started to think about how much I would miss the friends that I have made while working here and wanted to tell them that. And regardless of the drive or countless number of acronyms through the years, I have learned a lot and will take these lessons with me. Lastly, I thought about that guy in Rancho who wrote about chocolate, and have to agree with him, chocolate really is great.

1 comment: