Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Details

OK – it’s time to fill you in. I got so excited about quitting my job, I haven’t told you where I’m actually going!

I have accepted a position at a small company in downtown SF which provides various banking operations services, primarily for small banks. It also works very closely with the Federal Reserve Bank. It will be a completely different job and experience then what I’ve had the last five and half years at FT, but I am definitely ready and excited for the change!

What attracted me to the company:
The size (less then 100)
The location (within walking distance of various public transportation options)
The future potential of the company
The future potential of my place within the company
The people
The idea of being a big fish in a small pond

I am going in as a Project Manager, however there has already been talk of Manager potential in the near future if I do the work they expect me to. They like my background and the things I’ve done here, and think I’ll be a valuable resource to their growing company. And I would like to agree! Hmm… no pressure….

There are some risks of course – I’m leaving a very large, stable corporation with financial security (stock plan, bonus structure, yada, yada), but frankly, it just wasn’t doing it for me. I’m fed up with the politics and the hoops I have to jump through to get work done. I’m tired of the daily 60 mile round trip commute. But most importantly, I am so very ready for a change.

This job came across my path when a recruiter picked my resume off of Monster.com, and it was amazing how fast things happened. I met with him a couple of days before leaving for Portland, and I had my first interview with the company the day I got back. Less then a week later I had the second interview and the offer. I counter-offered but pretty much new it was in the bag, and I was waiting on specifics.

On Friday at 12:45 I got the final offer, and at 1:00 I resigned. Do I have any regrets? Hell No! Will I later? Who Knows! But it’s time to take a chance…

4 comments:

sactownkid said...

I agree, change can be terrifying but you gotta take a chance when opportunities arise. It's REALLY hard to leave secure and stable but I'm proud of you for looking for new opps and finding yourself a better sitch, congrats!!

Manoa Missy said...

Lots of good stuff happening for the Brown gang lately. Way to go, Mingle!

Kid said...

Again more disappointment. I was hoping to use your access to the FT A/V room to start a business similar to the one in the National Lampoon's classic "Barely Legal."

Mrs Mingle said...

don't worry Kid - I still have connections