Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Geeks on Parade*

It is a well known fact that I am a band geek – have been for years. Although to be honest, even if I weren’t in band, I would probably still be a geek in a different activity. Now many years out of band myself, I am still living up to my geek potential by teaching marching at a local high school.

Band camp (damn that movie that ruined it for all) started last week and I went back to work as an instructor during the hours when I’m not at FT pretending like I still work here. There are over 200 kids in the band, so they have 2 official band directors and 4 marching instructors. We lowly marching instructors like the job because we enjoy helping the kids, and we like our friend who hired us, Band Director #1 Mr. Ed.

On the first night three of us showed up (and as a side note, I have struggled with naming my fellow instructors… these two guys have been friends forever and I first thought, Beevis and Butthead, but they aren't that destructive. Then I thought the Ambiguously Gay Duo, but they would kill me for that. So, I’ve decided to go with Scooby and Shaggy). Anyways, Scooby, Shaggy and I were in for a surprise when we showed up to the first rehearsal last week to find two more instructors. Apparently Band Director #2 not only hired these gentleman, (Dick and Macass), but also told Dick that he would be in charge of marching this year. Things may have gone a bit smoother if someone had told us this prior to the first rehearsal. Instead Dick strolls in late on the first night and announces to the kids that BD #2 has put him in charge. He says a lot more stuff and finally looks over at us and says, “hey you guys – get over here. I don’t know your names, but introduce yourselves!” The kids did know our names since we’ve been teaching there for years, so it was a somewhat awkward moment when I said, “Hi, I’m Mingle, I’ve been here for 4 years…”, while not saying out loud, “who the hell are you??” to the new guy…

That first night was very uncomfortable because there was a lot of tension between all of the instructors – unfortunately it was also palpable to some of the older kids. Since then however, things seemed to have smoothed over. Frankly I kind of like having the new guys there because the kids like me now. I’m nice compared to Dick and Macass.

I also find it rather amusing to watch Scooby and Shaggy square off against Dick and Macass – they are all very passionate about their marching technique. And it’s at this point that I realize that no matter how much of a geek I am, I am nothing compared to them.

* This installment of Geeks on Parade is dedicated to JP.

1 comment:

Kid said...

You don't play the flute do you?
;)