Sunday, August 27, 2006

How to Make an Exit

When I wrote my story a month ago, I thought that was the end of it. When I left work for the last time on Friday, I really thought that was the end of it. Oh, but how wrong I was...

After work on Friday I had set up a Happy Hour with friends that I'd made through the years at FT. I was having a jolly good time having some drinks and mingling with those who had come. It was a nice turn out that represented the various groups that I've worked with over the years. Sandy and her husband came to say goodbye and aside from the fact that I had to referree between Sandy and our boss Meanie for 4 months, I like her and was pleased that they were there. One thing that always bothered me however was the fact that during the whole 4-month woe of whining about getting a job with my department she never once told me that her dad was friends with the Executive VP. The Big Spin and Meanie had told me Sandy's dad was friends with the VIP about 8 months ago, but Sandy never breathed a word. Instead she complained and worried that she wouldn't be hired and I was always on the verge of exploding, "will you give me a break! We all know that you will get a job here since your dad is friends with the VIP, never mind the fact that you've worked here for 2 years now and are a smart woman, so please, shut up!". But I never did... instead I was quite impressed (and frankly surprised) that she never once brought that little piece of information up.

Then comes Friday night... a couple of beers down, I decided to ask Sandy about this tidbit of info, and here's how it went:

Mingle (all happy): Sandy, now that I'm leaving, you can finally tell me... is your dad friends with [VIP - The Big Spin's boss]?
Sandy: What?
Mingle: Is your dad friends with VIP?
Sandy: What?
M: Is your dad friends with VIP?
S: No!
M: oh
S: Why would you ask me that?
M: well... the Big Spin and Meanie told me he was.
S: WHAT?! Why would they think that? Why would they tell you that????
M: um... (oh dear god what have i started) ... because they believe it?
S: Do you mean to tell me that my whole job here is predicated on the fact that people think my dad is friends with the VIP?? (tears start)
M: What? NO, noonononono, (oh dear, oh dear, shit, shit - why won't someone come rescue me?) ha , ha, no, of course not - you are a smart, talented girl, and you finally have the job that you wanted , so I really wouldn't worry about it. Just make your mark now. (Apparently after a few beers, "Make Your Mark" becomes my mantra)
...
S: (Cry, cry, tears) Can I clear this up with the Big Spin?
M: Of course you can!! Good idea! Yes, yes, clear this up and Make YOUR MARK.
Someone else: Um..Mingle…would you guys like to play pool?....
M: Yes, YES! Great idea! Come on Sandy, let’s go play pool with your husband…

At this point, Sandy pretty much disappeared, her husband came to say goodbye and thank me (curse me) for dropping that bombshell of information prior to their weekend and off they went.

I, in the meantime, had dropped my own bombshell. It was as if I wound her up, set her in front of the door to my old department, patted her on the butt and said – “Off you go now… say bye to the Big Spin for me!!!”

And, exit – stage left.

No comments: