Thursday, April 24, 2014

#tbt: November 2000 - My Plane Crash Experience


I recalled the following memory vividly while I was writing up yesterday’s blog so I thought I would pull this one out of the archives for re-publishing.  During the fall of 2000 I had finished teaching English in Osaka, and traveled for about a month prior to returning to the States.  My travels first took me to Thailand, where I travelled by myself, then to Australia, where I stayed with friends, and then to Vietnam where I met with some friends for that leg of the trip.  When we left Vietnam, I was on a separate flight that took me back to Osaka by way of Bangkok, Thailand.  Upon landing in Bangkok, my flight crash-landed.  

Fortunately, it was not the type of crash where the plane broke apart, or anyone was badly hurt, but it was scarier than hell.   I learned from this experience that if I fly internationally, to always keep my passport with me at all times.  Not just in the overhead, but WITH me.  When you leave the plane in an emergency you are not supposed to take anything with you.  And, not all countries may treat passengers who crash-land with as much care as the US might.   When my plane ‘landed’, we were stuck out in the field for a long while before a bus finally came to get us to take us to the airport.  Then, we had to stand in the customs line just like anyone else and we had to wait for our bags to be unloaded, which was a particular challenge, as the plane was on its nose.  We just had to wait inside the airport until the bags came.  Fortunately I had taken my backpack and my passport with me when I left the plane, so I could get through customs without issue.  There was no special treatment, nor apologies from the airline.   I had called home to my parents, concerned that they might see this incident on TV and worry about me, but it was not that newsworthy.  It was only my call that really scared them. 
 
And, now, here’s what I wrote back in 2000 in an email back to my friends and family:

Mon. November 27, 2000:
I was writing in my travel diary on the plane, and I wrote the following to quote: “Having no problems with flights except for waiting. (knock on wood, not home yet!)

Not 45 minutes later, my plane crash-landed!  I’m not kidding at all – this was the scariest experience of my life.  We hit the runway hard and bounced all over, we stopped bouncing and shaking but then I saw what looked like flames and smoke coming from the side of the plane.  When the plane finally came to a halt the lights went dead and a pilot came running out with a flashlight.
“Is everyone alright??” he yelled,
“Stay in your seats!!!”
I was shaking like a leaf and frantically searching for my passport (it had flown across the aisle during the landing). [It turns out the passport had landed in someone's lap across the aisle and he was able to pass it back to me] I then heard the back doors open and the chutes inflate.
“Everybody get of the plane! Go, go, go!!”
People were panicking and pushing but not excessively so, and when I got to the back of the plane they said, “go right!”
I turned right, looked out the door at about a 30 feet drop, and I was scared.  I saw the chute [which was actually dark grey, not yellow as the pictures always show, and blended into the tarmac at night] and realized I had no choice but to jump,  I slid down quickly and was caught at the bottom and then went into the field next to the runway.  [They really mean it when they tell you to lift up your arms and point them to the sky if you ever come down those emergency chutes.  I had a small backpack in my arms and did not do this and came away with some long-lasting elbow burns.] I looked back to see what really happened: the front landing gear had collapsed and we had come to a halt by skidding in on the bottom of the front of the plane and the back wheels.  The smoke and flames (sparks) I had seen were a result of the plane’s friction on the runway.

This was the day after Thanksgiving, and let me tell you, I am Thankful.  As far as I know, no one was inured in the landing, and as for me, I left with all my luggage intact. (an hour and half later).

I didn’t enjoy my last flight from Bangkok to Osaka and really sweated the landing.  [This was the morning after the bad landing experience and I physically started to tear up and cry when we began to descend]  But, I made it home safely and Maja and George were there to meet me at the airport.  I only have one flight left and that’s to San Francisco on Dec. 5 and trust me, I will be SO happy when I land there.

To this day my palms sweat each time I land, even though I try to tell myself I’m not scared anymore.   I also feel like since I had that one horrific flying experience then it should never happen to me again.  Or at least that’s what I keep telling myself. 

This was from my scrapbook of the trip and the only picture I could capture while in the field.

No comments: