Wednesday, April 23, 2014

So Many Teeth


If you are in a crisis situation, I believe I’m a person you would want with you.  I remain calm and keep my head on straight – always looking for solutions, or a way out of the problem.   I believe I speak from experience as I’ve been in a couple of life-death situations, one with a car, and one with a faulty plane landing, and  I experienced multiple crises at work related to money movement.  (Let me tell you, if money STOPS moving, people get MAD.)

If however, you have a loose tooth that wants to jiggle free, I am not the person to seek out.  This is a rather difficult problem as I’m a mother of two, one of whom is 5 and starting to loose teeth.   One of Jingle’s top teeth is about to come out and he’s constantly wiggling it.  “Look Mom!”   Each and every time, I have to control that look on my face – the one that looks as if I’ve swallowed a lemon – and say something like “yep, almost out” [oh dear god, please let it come out soon by itself].   Occasionally, there’s a little blood too and then it becomes even more difficult for me not to FREAK OUT.   Yesterday I was sitting with my son in his room and I looked up to notice his offending tooth had a little blood.   I left the room but unfortunately, not before I could control the panic on my face.  I tried to yell pacifying things from the other room, but my poor boy got scared.  And I know, I KNOW, there was nothing to be scared of and I don’t know why it grosses me out so much, but it does.   I don’t know what the female equivalent to “Man Up” is, but this is what I’m going to have to do for many years to come until my children have lost all of their teeth.   I sure hope it gets easier.

And, it doesn’t stop with my own children’s teeth.   I was on a field trip a couple of weeks ago and this one boy kept fiddling with his tooth.  I know him, and he seemed unusually quiet, so I asked him what was going on….”My tooth is really wiggly! [and there is blood]” UGH.    “Oh, yeah, that’s exciting… but I think you should probably not wiggle it so much… no, seriously that is a A LOT of wiggling… please stop…[and I’m saying these things as I’m slowly backing away from him.]”    I saw the boy today and he proudly showed me the gaping hole in his mouth from his tooth that finally fell out.  Yeah.  And then there are the parents who post those up-close pictures of their children losing their first tooth – sometimes with a bloody gaping hole.  If you are my FB friend, and you have done this, please imagine my lemon-sucking face as I scroll through my feed….  I’m happy for your children and I bless them with a generous tooth fairy, but I don’t need to be a first hand witness.

My children have had some falls that involved some blood and scrapes but nothing too major (yet..).   And, it’s not like I freak out with all blood – I think, THINK, I’d still be pretty calm in situations if they got really hurt.   But man, when it involves teeth…yuck, yuck, yuck!  I have never liked going to the dentist  and always hated it when they start sticking tools in my mouth.    So, the first time I took my son to the dentist I immediately thought he would be scared too.   But fortunately I kept my mouth shut with my own fears, and he wasn’t scared at all.  Plus, his dentist is awesome and shows movies and gives toys so it has become a visit to look forward to.  I sure wish I could go to his dentist, but they only take kids. (I asked).

My daughter is also braver than I am at the dentist
 Jingle is at school right now, and I hope the tooth is gone by the time he gets home because otherwise, it is going to be a very long afternoon.   But, after school, there will be snack time, and soccer practice, so it’s bound to come out with one of those two activities right? RIGHT?!

No comments: