Friday, February 21, 2014

Psycho Donuts Review



If you have come to this blog via my FB then you likely know why I have titled it Donut Fridays. But some of you may be wondering why I call it Donut Fridays.  Oh, you're not? Let me tell you anyways.

About three years ago I started posting about Donut Fridays on FB.  It was a treat to myself and it kind of became 'my thing'.  Sometimes I felt it was to my detriment as I would see people I hadn't seen in years, except through FB, and they would say "what have you been up to? I know you like donuts."  This happened to me at my twenty year reunion last year and then a few other times as well.  But, I have decided to embrace this... If this is to be my thing, then I will own it.

And to that end, I feel like I can't call this blog 'Donut Fridays' without actually offering a Donut Friday review.  So, to honor this, today I will provide my first official Donut Friday Review.

I had plans to visit my good friend Fossie in San Jose so I did a search for the best donut shop down there and came up with 'Psycho Donuts' in downtown SJ. The original is in Campbell and that's where their donuts are made and then delivered to the downtown SJ location.

The donuts were fitting to the name, and were totally insane. There were no signs to explain the types in the case before us so we had to ask the lady to explain. Although I enjoy donuts, I'm pretty particular about the specific types that I like.  Usually, I'm not a jelly donut, nor a chocolate donut fan but when they said it was a chocolate raspberry donut then I thought that was the one for me.  After all, when done right, these are the two of the best flavors that can be mixed together.  I also got a small cinnamon and sugar one to taste the quality of a 'typical donut'.

Fossie and her dog were also with me and we left her dog tied up outside while we ordered.  The people who work there wear white outfits fitting to those who work in insane asylums and Fossie's dog cried outside as if it were being stabbed to death the entire time we were there.   It was a fitting sound effect to the Psycho theme.

The donut itself was 'okay'. The raspberry jelly filling tasted more like jello then jelly.  The chocolate cake part was pretty good - chocolaty without being overly sweet.  The cinnamon sugar donut was good but typical of any donut.  I was kind of sad the donuts didn’t taste a little fresher as the lady kept telling us how they had just been delivered from the other place right before we got there.
 
The second most important part to any donut trip is the coffee.  It was surprisingly good considering now generic it looked when I ordered it.  I was handed a cup, a half gallon of half ‘n half and was told 'go pump it yourself'.  But, despite that, coffee was hot and tasty and the perfect balance to the crazy donuts.

My friendly company was top notch, especially once psycho doggie calmed down when we joined him outside. And, we couldn't beat the weather.  I don't even know what winter is supposed to feel like this year since it has been so pleasant.
 
So, all in all, here is my rating (1-low; 5-high):
Donuts: 3
Coffee: 4
Ambiance: 3 (kinda creepy)
Company: 5

Although it was one of the more unique donut shops I've seen and had original offerings, the actual taste of the donuts that I ate weren't memorably spectacular.  And, donuts are sweet enough so in my opinion they don't need excessive frosting on top as well.  I suppose I must continue the search for the perfect donut...

 

No comments: