Monday, December 05, 2005

The Latest Play

For the third time in two years I am playing trumpet for the musical Cabaret. One would think I’ve had enough of this play, (and I have), but it just keeps getting more interesting! If one were to give ratings to musicals, the first one in Pleasanton would have been rated PG, the second one in Alameda was PG-13 (a bit more raw and raunchy), and the current one in Berkeley: Rated R.

When they asked me to play they warned me there might be some nudity in the show (no, no, not me) but wow – they weren’t kidding! To quote the first line of someone else’s personal review: “T__s. Lots of t_ts. A bevy of beautiful bouncing b__bs”. (Edited due to the fact that I was suddenly unable to open my own blog page at work. I'm not sure if it blocks pages based on "bad words"....)

Oh yes, ladies are definitely topless in this show! Fortunately someone warned me the night before I was to play because I’m not sure that I could have kept my composure (and kept playing) if I looked up to see six half-naked women. Not just topless, but topless and dancing. What a combo.

But please do not mistake my R-Rating as a bad one. Despite (or because of?) the nudity, the show is outstanding. It’s very well acted and the sets and costumes are wonderful. The only part I would change is the fact that they have stuck the trumpet player in an ugly-ass orange dress. That, is just not fair. I mean, it almost makes me wonder…would I rather be topless, or in an ugly-ass orange dress? Tough call, don’t you think?

I’m proud to be a part of this show, although it’s not something I would recommend to everyone. If you are a fan of musicals, and do not mind some seediness and raunchy behavior in your shows, then check it out. (It runs until the end of January). If the Music Man and Mary Poppins is more your cup-of-tea…then, you may want to skip this one.

3 comments:

sactownkid said...

Instead of the ugly orange dress or going topless, maybe you could spray-paint yourself strategically with orange body paint. Now that's compromise! :) Funny that we both had Hooters weekend, yours was just more obvious!

Swiss Miss said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Swiss Miss said...

Wow! And all I saw was the PG version in Pleasanton? Now I feel cheated..... ;)