Monday, December 12, 2005

look at me, LOOK AT ME

All right People, listen up! I have colored my hair Auburn. I got my hair cut. I went shopping and bought a lot of new clothes. For me! Why am I telling you this? Because, I haven’t seen you. And the people who do see me regularly have not said a single word. The new coworkers don’t notice or choose to say anything. The fellow musicians in Cabaret do not say anything. Fortunately my husband noticed and has lovingly said that it looks great. And I thought it looked great…yet when no one says a single word – I start to think…does it look that bad??

Last Tuesday, when I came to work, I had long curly hair, almost blonde at the ends due to highlights gone crazy. On Wednesday I came to work with STRAIGHT dark hair, and glossy (thank you hairdresser!), and what reaction did I get? Nothing. I chalked it up to the fact that my coworkers have not known me that long, and do not take much notice when I poke my head around the cube gopher-style. Heck, they don’t even notice that I’m in the office, let alone have different hair.

But I couldn’t handle being invisible, so the next day, I wore a brand new top, not usually intended for work, because it has pink sparkles on it. I, Mrs. Mingle–with–the-now-dark-hair, wore a PINK FLASHY shirt to work. And, not to end there, I even wore lipstick. Oh, glory be – faint now. And what reaction did I get that day? Nothing. Sigh…

It has now gotten to the point where I have emailed my boss to ask her if the new Administrative Assistant (hallelujah we can have envelopes now!) can come take the cube next to me because I’m lonely. And who knows, maybe in 3 months, when I get my hair cut again – she’ll notice.

3 comments:

sactownkid said...

funny, I got my hair cut, colored AND got bangs last Tuesday. My hairdresser flatironed my hair until it was sheets of silk. Seriously. EVERYONE noticed, except my brother, who sees me all the time, and told me I looked exactly the same. So there you go. Of course I knew I could NEVER replicate the flatironing, so I didn't wash my hair all week. Today my coworkers have to see the look achieved by my low-to-normal styling skill, oy. :) Post a pic so we can see your sassy new style! I will post tonight.

Manoa Missy said...

I am so impressed, Ms. Sparkle (and pink to boot--you HAVE taken drastic steps). They were probably all envious of how awesome you looked and were too green to say anything. I love your timing--I always find the best things for ME when I am trying to shop for others at this time of year, then say no no no, I won't do it, then end up buying things for me anyway. What better time of year to look and feel pretty, so pretty and witty and gay. It's a pity no one said they noticed.

Swiss Miss said...

Yes, post a pic so those of us far away can see too! If it makes you feel better, I could get a bob and dye my hair blue and not a soul here would notice! Well, I hope Gary would, but you never know! ;)