Thursday, April 20, 2006

Give a Cat a Hug


Mr. Mingle’s sister stayed with us this past weekend, and when I brought her home on Friday I introduced her to the cats...”this is Mini and this is Zimby”. She replied “oh yeah, I remember Zimby – she and I bonded the last time I was here.”

This is the cat that rarely lets anyone aside from Mr. Mingle and I get close to her, and even then it’s on her own terms. She will cuddle with me when I’m in bed, and whenever either of us is on the computer, that is her “love-fest time” where she wants as much attention as possible and then proceeds to drool all over the keyboard. But any other time you want to pet her or give her some love, it’s hit or miss whether she wants it.

So, when sis-in-law said those two words in a sentence: “bonded” and “Zimby”, I scoffed internally, and thought, yeah…right. She then proceeded to pick Zimby up and I was quick to say, “ooh….she doesn’t really liked to be picked up much…”, and Mr. Mingle was behind me echoing..”yeah, and when she does, she only likes to be held a specific way…” When to our utter shock we looked at the cat, and realized that she had turned to absolute putty in her arms. It was a sight I have never seen before – and she wasn’t even holding her “right”! I truly wish I had taken a picture because it was amazing. The cat was practically straddling her arm and she wasn’t struggling at all – she looked…happy.

The other reason I wish I had taken a picture is because Mr. Mingle and I cannot figure out how she was holding the cat. We’ve tried now a few times to re-create the putty-cat, but instead we get struggling-angry-cat. But we’ll continue to try…if for no other reason then because its fun to torture her a little bit.

1 comment:

Costa Rica Chica said...

someone tames the aptly named wild Zimby. She reminds me of the Kid's former cat Munchkin. That was a cat you don't turn your back on...