Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Put a Sock In It

Last night I started a new class: Improvisation (for acting, not music). It meets once a week for 10 weeks, and if I get over the nervous-I-feel-stupid factor, I think it could be a lot of fun. I’ve taken one improv class before at a community center, but my friend was the teacher, so it was a lot less intimidating. This new class is at a real actor’s school where Mr. Mingle has been taking classes, and I feel much more out of my element. I went to my first class last night with one goal: do not make a fool of myself. Unless it’s on purpose – that is okay.

It started out well when we had to first introduce ourselves. We had to say our names and then tell something interesting about our name. I told the Mingle Ingle story, so I got a good laugh, which made me relax. The class continued without a hitch, and then half way through we took a break. As I was leaving the classroom I put on a fleece jacket that I had brought and heard someone call out, “you dropped something!” I turned around to see this woman leaning over to pick up the item I had dropped when we both realized at the same time, that it was a sock. She unfortunately had already committed to picking it up for me so she gingerly grabbed it by its corners, as I nervously said, “oh..ha ha…you’ve found my laundry!” as I quickly snapped it from her. It was clean, but I know the poor girl wasn’t sure.

Obviously this sock was somehow attached to my fleece jacket, whether the pocket or the back, but I have no idea where it was when I walked from my car to the school… I did however have the impression that people were looking at me funny as I walked down the street, and now, I think I know why.

No comments: