Monday, May 28, 2007

Diary of a Pregnant Mingle

Last December:
Mr. Mingle and I talked about starting to have kids in a year or two. I had decided to try to get into an MBA program this coming fall so we thought I'd give myself a chance to have at least one year behind me before trying to add kids to the Mingle household.

January/February:
Work was kicking my ass, travelling almost every week. One week in Seattle/Bellingham WA; then Salem, OR (where BeattieBeattieB asked me if we were going to have kids and I told her in a year or two); and then Ft. Worth, Texas where I was more tired at a client site than ever before. I was fighting every urge to lay my head down on the desk. I began to suspect something...

February 13:
Took home pregnancy test. Mini freak-out and then Mr. Mingle came home:

Me: "Hi...would you like to sit down and relax for a bit? Catch up on our day?..."
Mr. Mingle: "Umm...sure..."
Me: How was your day? (At which point I heard nothing he said)
Me: Well..I have some news...
MM: Okay...
Me: Oh, it's not bad! At least I don't think it's bad! Well, yeah, it's good; so um.. (he he he.nervous laugh) - how do I say this?
MM: WHAT? (he asks, a little frightened)
Me: Well...um.. I'm pregnant. atleastI'mprettysureIam.
MM: WHAT?! WOW!....How did that happen? Well, I mean I know HOW it happened.. but how did it happen??
Me: I'm pretty sure it was...
MM: ooh... huh.
...
MM: So, what do we do now?
Me: I DoNt KnOW (starting to panic). I don't have a doctor now since my Insurance CHanGed. I GUEss I NEED to find a DOCTOR to conFIRM. RIGHT?!
MM: Okay...do we tell people?
Me: Not yet. I definitely want to wait until we know for sure and I've heard 8 to 10 weeks is a good time frame.

And so, we waited. Blogging stopped. Much communication with friends and family stopped because answering the question of "What's new with the Mingles?" was just too hard to answer. Life has changed for us in a wonderfully surprising way, and now we are taking everything in stride. However, during the first couple of months we were certainly in a state of shock and just kind of wandered around in a wide-eyed state wondering, "what do we do now?", while trying to maintain the confident, "we're fine, nothing new here! ha ha ha" attitude when talking to others.

But now we are excited, and I am ready to blog about life again and the crazy things it deals us. Babies; Work; the Unexpected Random Events - I'm back!!

No comments: